||Assistant Professor Rinkoo Dalan |
MBBS, FRCP (edin), FAMS (Endocrinology)
Department of Endocrinology
Tan Tock Seng Hospital
Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine
Nanyang Technological University
Dr. Rinkoo Dalan (MBBS, FRCP(edin), FAMS(Endocrinology) is a Senior Consultant Endocrinologist at Tan Tock Seng Hospital and Assistant Professor at Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine. She has been with Tan Tock Teng Hospital since 2001 and completed her advanced specialist training in Endocrinology in 2007.
She is interested in studying cardiovascular complications in patients with diabetes mellitus with a special focus on the vascular endothelium in diabetes mellitus and the differences between the three ethnic groups in Singapore.
Research Focus :
To identify clinical phenotypes, physiological measurements, biomarkers and genomics that can help to predict cardiovascular risk in patients with diabetes mellitus in a personalised manner so that they can be targeted for more intensive conventional therapies and to explore novel non traditional methods to improve endothelial function.
Recent Scientific Awards
1. NMRC Transition Award 2014-2017. Relationship of haptoglobin phenotype to vascular changes and response to Vitamin E supplementation in patients with Diabetes Mellitus type 2: The EVAS trial. Role: Principal Investigator. Amount $825,000 + 20% indirect cost (inclusive of 0.5FTE)
2. Endocrine and Metabolic Society Singapore Research Grant 2015-2018. Genetic risk score associations with cardiovascular disease in Indian type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) patients: A Case Control Study. Role: Principal Investigator. Amount : $30,000.
3. National Health Innovation Centre (NHIC) I2D (innovation to Develop) grant 2015-2016. Proof-of-concept for an Enhanced Surrogate Marker of Endothelial Function for Macro-cardiovascular Disease Risks in Patients Diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus. Role: Principal investigator. Total Amount: $250,000.
4. NTU-NHG Metabolic Diseases Collaboration Grant 2015-2017.Microfluidic approaches for leukocyte sorting and functional characterization in type 2 diabetes patients. Role: Principal investigator. Total Amount : $50,000.
Selected Publications :
1. Dalan R, Leow M, et al. Neuroglycopenia and Adrenergic Responses to Hypoglycaemia: Insights from A Local Epidemic of Serendipitous Massive Overdose of Glibenclamide. Diabetic Medicine 2009: 26: 105-9.
2. Kao SL, Chan CL, Tan B, Lim CC, Dalan R, Gardner D, Pratt E, Lee M, Lee KO. An unusual outbreak of hypoglycemia. N Engl J Med 2009; 360(7): 734-6.
3. Dalan R, Jong M, et al. High sensitive C-Reactive protein (hs-CRP) concentrations among Patients with and without Diabetes in a multi-ethnic population of Singapore: CREDENCE study. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity 2010; 3:187-95.
4. Dalan R, Leow MKS. Immune manipulation for Graves' disease: re-exploring an unfulfilled promise with modern translational research. Eur J Intern Med 2012; 23(8): 682-91.
5. Loke SC, Tan AW, Dalan R, Leow MK. Pre-operative Serum Alkaline Phosphatase as a Predictor for Hypocalcemia Post-Parathyroid Adenectomy. Int J Med Sci. 2012; 9(7):611-6.
6. Dalan R, Earnest A, Leow MKS. Ethnic variation in the correlation between fasting glucose concentration and glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c). Endocrine Practice 2013; 19(5):812-7.
7. Dalan R, Choo R, Jong M, Chew DEK, Leow MKS. Predictors of cardiovascular complication in patients with diabetes mellitus: a 5-year follow-up study (CREDENCE II Study). Int J Cardiol 2013. 2013 Nov 15; 169(4):e67-9.
8. Lam S, Liew H, Khor HT, Dalan R, Kon YC, Jong M, Chew DE, Leow MK. VIPoma in a 37-year-old man. Lancet. 2013 Aug 31; 382(9894):832.
9. Liu XF, Yu JQ, Dalan R, Liu AQ, Luo KQ. Biological factors in plasma from diabetes mellitus patients enhance hyperglycaemia and pulsatile shear stress-induced endothelial cell apoptosis. Integr Biol (Camb) 2014. DOI:10.1039/C31B40265G.
10. Dalan R, Liew HL, Tan WAK, Chew DEK, Leow MKS. Vitamin D and endothelium: Basic, translational and clinical research updates. IJC Metabolic and Endocrine 2014; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcme.2014.06.003